Our mission is to inspire excellence in education and learning in Northern New Mexico through innovative programming, collaboration, and advocacy.
Our vision is that all New Mexicans have the skills and confidence they need to be self-sufficient, lifelong learners who are engaged in their community.
- Equal Opportunity - Every child should have access, equity, and excellence in education.
- Openness - Our business and grantmaking processes are fair and open to the public.
- Diversity - We reflect the diversity of Northern New Mexico in every aspect of our business.
- Partnership - We partner with others to achieve our success. We respect the integrity and knowledge of local communities.
- Accountability - We are accountable to the community, the Laboratory, and the nation.
- Integrity - We strive to be fair, honest, and trustworthy in all that we do.
- We believe the earliest years of a child’s life are the most critical in shaping their future. We believe learning happens on a continuum pre-natal through adulthood.
- We believe strongly in equity. We are committed to promoting programs, policies and practices that ensure that all children and families are seen, heard and responded to in culturally and linguistically responsive ways; and that support their social and emotional well-being. We work to honor and respect each family’s individuality, culture, language and family heritage in our initiatives.
- We listen to our communities. We adapt and adjust our actions to support their needs, cultivating and investing in strategic partnerships with others who share our vision and are committed to achieving it.
- We believe leadership matters. We work to support strong leaders in our communities (tribal, educational, family) and in organizations supporting learners of all ages.
- Because learning is social, cultural, emotional, and academic, we recognize and support the important role of families and communities in a child’s well-being and development.
- In schools, we believe we can support children and students best by working to grow and support teachers and other education leaders.
- In communities, we work to develop relationships and support non-profits to widen and deepen the work we do to support children’s learning opportunities in school and beyond.
- We put special focus on strengthening the capacities of rural districts’ and of tribal and pueblo communities’ to support children and families.
- As a learning organization, we use culturally and linguistically responsive best practices grounded in data, research, story- telling, program design and evaluation to understand effective practices, support our partners in aligned work and disseminate what we learn to the larger New Mexico and national audiences.
- We will continue to build relationships, develop partnerships, and leverage resources to grow our assets and to advocate for good policies for our children, families and communities.
As a learning organization, the LANL Foundation is committed to listen to the communities we serve and to promote racial and social equity in all our programs and grantmaking. We know that public education plays a unique and powerful role in shaping the trajectories for all communities, especially communities of color — either positively by expanding opportunities or adversely by perpetuating racial disparities.
Through our strategic focus, we will continue to work as an organization to recognize our own biases and privileges and to see the impact that race, poverty, class, language, historical trauma, oppression, and other differences have on our work and our society. We will also encourage this work in other organizations and in our community. Our grantmaking and new program development will continue with the urgency to address these issues.