LANL Foundation is a small, regional nonprofit grounded in the communities of Northern New Mexico, with a focus on education and life-long learning through innovative programming, collaboration, and advocacy. Employment opportunities are posted here as they become available. There are 3 open positions at this time.
Responsible to Chief Executive Officer
The primary purpose of the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Foundation Education Enrichment Director is to work in conjunction with the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer, and other members of the Foundation’s Senior Team and staff to establish and steward a set of strategies and partnerships that help drive the implementation of innovative programming and advocacy that support the mission, vision, and values of the LANL Foundation across the spectrum of public education, with a specific focus on PreK–12. The Director will have a strong understanding and connection to the Northern New Mexico region and public education, with existing relationships in the education, government, and nonprofit sectors.
The Director will also manage a high-performing and dynamic team focused on the following areas: 1) STEM education; 2) innovative leadership development and bolstering teachers’ professional learning experiences across Northern New Mexico; 3) socioemotional learning and its significance for students and educators; 4) growing excellent teachers who are representative of communities of color across Northern New Mexico; 5) programs that cultivate culturally responsive education leaders (including principals and school counselors); 6) programs that build pipelines and pathways for the region’s high school students into and through college; and 7) advocacy and equity for all Northern New Mexico students.
It is expected that the Director will manage her/his and program staff time, as outlined below in the following overarching responsibilities:
Work in close partnership with the Grants Manager to assure a coordinated and strategic grant-making portfolio that furthers the goals and objectives of the PreK–12 department. Leverage partnerships by overseeing LANL Foundation grantees that address the PreK–12 education spectrum.
Research, strategically plan, and manage key initiatives including but not limited to 1) supporting the social and emotional needs of students and teachers; 2) advancing computer science, emergent media, technology, and other STEM education initiatives as a mechanism that links education and economic development for rural Northern New Mexico; 3) broadening support for the educators in Northern New Mexico by establishing networks and helping to develop avenues for ongoing teacher and instructional leadership growth in an effort to recruit and retain excellent educators for Northern New Mexico public school systems; and 4) LANL Foundation’s Inquiry Science initiative.
Strategic Partnerships & Advocacy
Develop strong partnerships with constituents including school district administration, Tribal communities, State administration, nonprofit leadership particularly focused on education initiatives and workforce development, the private sector, higher education, and organizations focused on child and community wellness towards a collective impact approach (cross-sectoral collaboration and alignment). Gather data and information about critical community needs and emerging trends as well as effective nonprofit organizations; develop broad-based, general knowledge and understanding of community assets, challenges, and opportunities as related to the education landscape. Contribute to educational transformation by supporting community voice, public forums, and learning opportunities, in addition to providing thought leadership and input for key constituents including State leadership.
Inquiry STEM Education Consortium
Oversight of the Inquiry STEM Education Consortium (ISEC) and its staff will include budget, evaluation, program sustainability, and programmatic development.
Supervise ISEC Program Manager and oversee K–12 Program staff. Collaborate and coordinate with any LANL Foundation staff that contributes to the above initiatives. Exhibit a visible, fully committed, hands-on management style while recognizing and empowering the strength and experience of all collaborating staff. Communicate and manage expectations, responsibilities, and roles; appropriately delegate responsibility and authority, empowering others to take action in support of identified goals. Establish clear metrics for assessing performance. Conduct midterm and year-end evaluation(s). Identify, develop, and maintain a cadre of external specialists and consultants for use in deployment/development of each of the program areas.
Other related programmatic and organization responsibilities as necessary and appropriate such as budget, grant writing, producing reports, communicating LANL Foundation vision and mission of education programming to internal and external partners, and presenting at appropriate State, national, or global venues.
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in education, business, social sciences, or other related field
- Management experience in a foundation, government, nonprofit organization, school, or corporate community relations role
- Broad and general knowledge of the range of community assets, challenges, and opportunities facing the Northern New Mexico region
- Ability to work with school principals, superintendents, school boards, the education community, and external funders
- Deep understanding of public education systems and educational transformation approaches
- Proven track record managing and leading multiple complex projects to successful outcomes
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to convene and engage audiences, building collaboration among diverse constituents
- Superior organization, time, and project management skills
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, with outstanding presentation skills
- Proactive nature to recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges and capitalize on them
- A voracious proponent of and participant in community engagement
- A lifelong learner with natural curiosity and ability to rapidly apply learning
- Interdisciplinary, analytical, innovative, and critical thinking
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to foster and encourage collaboration
- Emotionally intelligent with the ability to effectively manage conflict
- Culturally competent
- Strong ethical standards and integrity
- Technologically competent and confident user of Microsoft Office Suite
- Great sense of humor
- Ability to work extended hours, as needed
- Ability to travel locally and periodic out-of-area travel
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position working in the LANL Foundation office located in Española. Excellent benefits package is included. LANL Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send letter of interest and résumé by March 7, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Education Enrichment Director” in the subject line.
Responsible to Communications Director
The nonprofit Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Foundation in Española seeks a contract Media Relations Associate for approximately 14–20 hours per week to support the Communications Director in cultivating the image of the LANL Foundation and increasing awareness of programs and work in education.
- Prepare media and campaign strategies with Communications Director
- Write and distribute press releases and news reports
- Conduct onsite interviews with teachers, students, families, grant recipients, and other partners to tell stories that reflect the impact of LANL Foundation work throughout seven Northern New Mexico counties
- Write and coordinate effective social media messaging with images/graphics, build following
- Monitor media coverage
- Update and maintain website content
- Edit organizational publications for internal and external audiences, including but not limited to e-newsletters, reports, grants, marketing collateral, and advertisements
- Prepare digital presentations
- Promote, support and cover LANL Foundation events, occasionally working evenings and weekends
- Additional communications-related tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, PR, marketing or related field
- Background and work experience with diverse content creation
- Excellent verbal and written communication and project management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Quick thinking and accurate
- Inquisitive, research-based mindset
- Collaborative, creative, approachable, kind
- Enthusiastic learner
- Ability to communicate with, work across, and celebrate diverse cultures and audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Basic knowledge of Adobe CC software and photography experience a plus
- Nonprofit experience beneficial
Send letter of interest, résumé, hourly rate and
- sample press release/published clip,
- pitched/placed story, and
- interview-based article
by March 15, 2019 to email@example.com including “Media Relations Associate” in the subject line.
Responsible to VP of Finance and Operations
The Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Foundation HR/Accounting Associate is a part-time, non-exempt position in support of VP of Finance and Operations. This position will work from the LANL Foundation office located in Española to provide assistance in the Human Resources and Accounting Departments of the Foundation.
Human Resources Support
- Provides administrative support to employees in completing timesheets and processing payroll, as well as computes, withholds, and accounts for all payroll deductions.
- Maintains employees’ personnel records, including current job descriptions to ensure compliance with the appropriate federal, state, and LANL Foundation recordkeeping requirements.
- Assists VP of Finance and Operations with on-boarding new employees, provides ongoing HR support to employees, and maintains the contracts for contract personnel.
- Assists with selecting and overseeing the employer-sponsored benefit programs, insurance plans, and other benefits programs and assists management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines.
- Performs bookkeeping and accounting duties related, but not limited to payroll and reconciliations of various data.
- Assists the VP of Finance and Operations on financial reporting to meet deadlines for board meetings, grants reporting, as well as internal program budget versus actuals reporting to LANL Foundation’s different programs.
- Supports the VP of Finance and Operations with the preparation of certain schedules and correspondence that support both monthly financial statements and the annual external audit.
- Supports the VP of Finance and Operations with the annual preparation of the organizational budget, preparing worksheets based on financial data, and providing research as needed.
Other Performs other HR and Accounting duties as assigned.
- Must have direct Human Resources/Accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources/Accounting or equivalent years of education and experience in Human Resources and Accounting
- 2 or more years of experience working in a professional office environment
- General knowledge of employment laws and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to execute assigned job responsibilities with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- High-level MS Office suite skills
- QuickBooks experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must be able to keep strict confidentiality
- Valid and unrestricted NM driver’s license
- Sense of humor
DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Advanced degree or certifications
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required
This is a part-time position working 20 hours per week. Compensation depends on experience. A retirement benefit is available after one year of employment. LANL Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Send letter of interest and résumé by March 24, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Human Resources/Accounting Associate" in subject line.