New as an ISEC teacher or changing grade levels in the 2019-2020 school year? Summer Teachers' Institute training is required prior to receiving your kit. There are two date/location options this year.
Experience and research tell us that to move the needle in education in New Mexico, we must engage our students in innovative, student-centered learning that is real, multifaceted, and values individual critical thinking and voice.
The Inquiry Science Education Consortium (ISEC) endeavors to nurture partnerships and cultivate excellence in public education in Northern New Mexico. ISEC is the LANL Foundation's flagship K-12 Program, dedicated to increasing equity and access to quality STEM education for all students, grades K–6.
ISEC’s Three Core Components
- Research-based science and engineering curriculum
- High-quality and on-going professional development for educators
- Logistical and materials support for schools and teachers
Since its inception in 2010, ISEC has grown from 29 schools across 6 school districts to now serve 8 districts, 44 elementary schools, 570 teachers and approximately 11,000 students. The spectrum of 14 curriculum module titles (7 physical science and 7 Earth science, each with multiple lessons) are delivered free of charge to K–6 classrooms. Our Science Resource Center staff collects the modules and refurbishes materials between use.
LANL Foundation has invested $13.7 million in inquiry STEM education over the last 7 years.
What is Inquiry STEM Education?
- Teaches students how to think—not just what to think
- Assesses students’ current knowledge and skills, then builds upon them
- Encourages students to conceptualize a question and then seek a possible explanation
- Actively engages children
- Promotes teamwork and collaboration
- Accommodates different learning styles
- Enhances learning in other content areas, especially reading, mathematics, and social studies
Meet Our Team
Learn more about ISEC by contacting a member of our team:
- Bryan Maestas, ISEC Program Manager
- Doris Rivera, ISEC Professional Development Coordinator
- Dave Forester, STEM Program Coordinator
- Monica Herrera, Science Resource Center Manager
Additional Program Offerings
- Professional Development
- ISEC Schools & Partners
- Learning Materials & Curriculum
- Science Resource Center